Looking for the list of best backpacking sleeping bag that meets your standards and budget at the same time?
Do you want a lightweight sleeping bag that protects you from extreme cold when you are out in wilderness travel?
We have researched and put together a complete buying guide to make your work easy to choose the best backpacking sleeping bag.
Also, we have added 5 top best backpacking sleeping bag reviews to assist you in making the right decision Hopefully when you finish reading our buying guide, you will have no room in your mind for any more indecision.
What are the best backpacking sleeping bags:
The backpacking sleeping bag helps you feel cozy and comfortable when you go outdoors for camping, hiking and at night you look for a coziness and shelter from the cold and wind. Probably you have already used a backpacking sleeping bag during the camping or hiking that you experienced. If you have felt that your bag could be a bit more comfortable and warmer, or there could a little more space inside your sleeping bag, our best and top 10 backpacking sleeping bags reviews are for you to help. These sleeping bags, mostly cost $100 or more. To check out the best sleeping bags under $100 you can also check out our this piece of article >
How to choose or pick up the best sleeping bag? Things to consider while choosing the best sleeping bag for you:
- Sleeping bag shape: Many Sleeping bags do not normally have too much space for you. Backpacking sleeping bags have comparatively less space inside than the camping bags. The shape of your bag is important for your good sleep and comfort. A sleeping bag may be available in 4 different shapes. Rectangular, Semi-rectangular, Mummy, Double wide.
- Size: The size of the sleeping bag, its length, width etc are important things to consider for you before you buy a sleeping bag. If you are too tall then you should not buy the bag appropriate for people with regular heights.
- Temperature rating: By temperature rating, they mean the lowest temperature at which your sleeping bag keeps you warm inside the bag. If it says your bag is 21F, it means it is able to keep you warm at 21 F temperature. If the temperature falls beyond that, your bag will fail to cope up with that.
- Budget: Budget is important when you want to buy a sleeping bag that is not too expensive but gives a good service. While you may also consider, going for an ideal and better quality sleeping bag within a medium budget because you are willing to yield when it comes to quality and durability. And also, if you are looking for utmost comfort and maximum weather protection, you might want to go for the expensive ones considering the comfort and protection that it can provide you with.
- Weather: The sleeping bag that suits your needs in warm weather might not be able to suffice your needs during the extreme cold. There are some sleeping bags that are made for extreme cold and it feels quite warm to sleep inside those which are definitely not suitable for warm summer camps. And which is why the sleeping bags for the typical summer nights might be lighter and thinner.
- Sleeping bag insulation type: Insulation type of the bag can be of these types; Synthetic Insulation, Goose-Down Insulation, Water-Resistant Down Insulation.
- Weight: As a buyer, you will probably look for lightweight or even extra light sleeping bag.
- Inside capacity: The inside capacity determines how comfortable you will feel inside the bag, if you have the chance of continuous baffling and if you have space to snuggle up inside the bag.
- Storage: The storage system available for the bag is important because most of the backpacking sleeping bag required to be stored in a cool and dry place.
- Zipper length: The length of the zipper of the bag, the position of the zipper, whether it makes you feel comfortable when you close the zipper and sleep inside the bag, these factors are important when you buy the best backpacking sleeping bag for you. Sometimes the zippers’ finishings are not done with care, which is why the zipper gets stuck up easily or bound up. You must check the zipper thoroughly all the way before buying.
- Sleeping bag for women and kids: Women and kids’ sleeping bags are different in sizes and shapes than those of the men’s. Women-specific bags are designed to fit a woman’s body and are shorter in length ( 5’6″ in height), women’s sleeping bags are narrower at the shoulders and wider at the hips. Kids’ bags are smaller in size and narrower in shape.
- Water Resistant or not: Water resistant sleeping bag will take you less time to dry out than the one that is not. Nonetheless, during the heavy rainfall, a water resistant sleeping bag will get soaked easily anyway, as it is not waterproof, just water resistant.
EN Testing: EN testing stands for the European Norm (EN) 13537 testing protocol. It is an internationally accepted system to define temperature rating and it is the most dependable standard available.In EN testing, a bag can be assigned two temperature ratings:
Comfort rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep the average woman or “cold sleeper” comfortable.
Lower-limit rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep a man or “warm sleeper” comfortable.
Everyone’s body, the need for warmth and sleep comfort patterns are different, so EN ratings are only a guideline to help you compare bags.
Best 10 backpacking sleeping bags 2017 – 2018
Best Overall– price, weight, comfort, protection from extreme cold
Top Pick for Cold Sleepers or Colder than Average 3-Season Use
Western Mountaineering MegaLite sleeping bag
Get cheap from Amazon — Western Mountaineering MegaLite Sleeping Bag: 30 Degree Down One Color, 6ft 6in/Right Zip
Why is Western Mountaineer Megalite the best overall?
Among all the best backpacking sleeping bags determined according to varying criterions, Western Mountaineer Megalite may be your choice if you look for comfortable, lightweight bag that can keep you warm in the cold night. It is made of Lightweight nylon, has Mummy Shape. This bag’s 13 cm spacing allows you continuous baffling. Its condition of the zipper is Locking #5 YKK® zipper. It is suitable for 1 person. It weighs 650g (Small Left Zip), 680g (Regular Left Zip), 710g (Long Left Zip). Its features include; down weight 340g, construction baffle face fabric12-denier nylon Lining/backer12-denier nylon, loft : 10cm, shoulder girth 163cm, hip girth 140cm, foot girth 99cm. It is not Water Resistant. Its Temperature range can be 21 to 30 degree. Its length; small fits to 5′ 6″ (168 cm) while regular fits to 6′ 0″ (183 cm)Long fits to 6′ 6″ (198 cm)
- It is lightweight and easy to carry for you.
- Suited for, 20 F to 30 F. For 40 F, it may seem a bit too warm. Ideal for Backpacking (-2°C to -12°C).
- Perfect for your summer bike trips and warmer weather camping
- Full zipper makes you feel comfortable and cozy inside when it’s too windy and cold outside.
- There are enough spaces inside the bag for you to snuggle, helps continuous baffling.
- It is not water resistant.
- Price may seem a bit high.
Best Cold Weather Backpacking Sleeping Bag
The Military Modular Sleep System
Military Modular Sleep System is a 4 piece outfit is Adjustable and customizable with climate and comfort. The Item weight is 4.3 kg.
- Its durability and ability to keep you warm during heavy windy weather and cold make it have its place in our list of best backpacking sleeping bags for winter.
- Comes with a module system for the mountain climbers when the weather is too cold.
- It has got good customer reviews because of the total protection of this complete system being effective to -50° F. For the mountain hikers, during the extreme cold when the wind and cold waves are around, the pivy cover of the modular sleep system kept the wind out and the heat in.
- Adjustability according to the temperature: as a user, you are able to customize your warmth level by utilizing different components of the system.
- It is lightweight and it is compatible with the environment. It weighs 8 pounds.
As we mentioned, the temperature can be adjusted according to your needs. According to the users, it may feel a little too warm inside the bag at times. In that case, there is a bottom zipper in the bag if you open it you can allow air to flow through the bag.
Best Budget: backpacking sleeping bag
Kelty Cosmic Down 20 for cold weather
Also, Kelty Cosmic Down 20 – women, one of the Best Backpacking sleeping bags for women
Its low price and good comfort overall make it have its place on our list of best backpacking sleeping bags. material type is 50D polyester taffeta liner, 50D down proof polyester ripstop shell, 600 fill power DriDown, comes with 60 in. dual-slider, locking zipper, draft collar, quilt through construction. It has a stuff sack included, Thermal-comfort hood and natural fit footbox and a Zipper draft tube with antisnag design.
- One of the least expensive bag for you, among all the other backpacking sleeping bags. It costs $160. And yet, it is roomy and comfortable.
- It is water resistant.
- The bag is EN tested to 25°F.
- The women’s version of the Cosmic Down has two ounces more down fill included.
- All of the Cosmic Down models nowadays come with water repellant treated “DriDown” fill which helps this bag maintain its loft when it gets wet.
- Warmer enough inside when it is quite cooler outside, which might be a plus if you consider the low price.
- According to some of the users, its zipper can give you troubles sometimes. So check before you buy one.
- Cosmic down has low quality 600 fill duck down.
- It can be a little weighty (less than 3 pounds), and as it is cheap, you may have to compromise the weight and quality considering the cheap price.
Igneo 25 (Also, ultralight and best for summer camps)
This sleeping bag is a high-end and ultralight bag, but the price is favorable; which makes it have its place in our top list of best backpacking sleeping bags. Igneo 25 Bag’s comfort rating and Lower limit are respectively 35 and 25 (F). Temperature rating 25 (F) and -4 (C). It comes with a sack for your convenience (Measurement: long Left 7.5 x 15 inches, Long Left Wide, 8 x 18 inches, Regular Left. 7.5 x 15 inches). Its zipper is located on left side. Its water-repellent 700-fill-power duck down gives loft and warmth. It weighs; long left 1 lb. 12 oz; long left wide 1 lb. 14 oz. while regular left 1 lb. 10 oz. It is water resistant down. Its fill is 700 fill duck down.
- Best for summer camping.
- It has a hood, insulated face muffler, and full-length draft tube to keep warmth.
- Igneo Sleeping Bag comes with a nylon stuff sack and a storage bag.
- Suitable for moderate cold and the wind. Not suitable and warm enough for the extreme cold and wind.
Magma 10 Sleeping Bag
It is designed with plenty of foot space so the regular bag can be helpful for you if you have regular height, while the long bags can give advantages to the people with tall body length. You can put your stuff here in the feet space, too i.e. water bottle, belongings. And it has fitted silhouette that delivers comfort and warmth. The zipper is located on left side. Its insulation type is down, weight 2 lbs (long bag) and 1lb 14 oz (regular bag). Temperature rating (f) 10 and -12 for Celsius. It is built with Downproof Pertex shell, water-resistant 850-fill goose down and supple 15-denier lining. Its fill is 850 fill goose down. Fill weight can vary, Long 540 grams, while regular weighs 500 grams. Shoulder girth 60, hip girth 57. The bag fits up to 72 to 78 inches.
- Its fitted silhouette delivers you comfort and warmth.
- Comes with a stuff sack (size 7.5×15 inches) for packing and a roomy mesh sack for breathable storage.
- Its insulated yoke fills the space around neck and shoulder to make you warmer inside the bag.
- Its downproof Pertex shell, water-resistant 850-fill goose down and supple 15-denier lining work together to provide you with coziness and comfort.
- It has a Trapezoidal foot box that keeps your feet at comfort, which might be helpful for people of all length.
- It has Variable baffle spacing that might locate and stabilize down fill, delivering high thermal efficiency and reducing weight.
- This is not suitable for a regular summer night camp out. It is too warm for that. It is specially made for the extreme cold ( which is a plus if you are looking for a cold weather sleeping bag, only at a reasonable price.)
Best lightweight: cozy design for Minimalists
Marmot Phase 20 sleeping bag
It’s a neatly shaped and cozily designed bag for you if you are a minimalist, and light weight made it have its place in our best backpacking sleeping bags’ list. Marmot Phase 20 is a lightweight and cozy design best backpacking sleeping bag. Its prime materials are Pertex 10d 100% Nylon Ripstop .88oz/yd. The Marmot Phase 20 Bag temperature(°C), -7° C and in terms of Fahrenheit it is 20° F. It comes with Insulation 850+ Fill power goose down, has Lining – Pertex 10d 100% Nylon Ripstop .88oz/yd. It weighs 1lbs 7.3oz (660g). Also, it comes with internal stash pocket, snagless insulated draft tube, hood draw cord, stuff and storage sack included, zipper garage, stretch tricot baffles, two hang loops.
- It is indeed quite lightweight, weighs only 1.3 pounds. If you are looking for an extra lightweight and yet cozy designed sleeping bag, you can check this one out.
- It comes with an anatomical wrap-around foot box to increase insulation and room for your feet, more warmth, and comfort
- It has 850-fill down which gives this bag a high warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Its smooth-curved baffles reduce down shifting and nautilus multi-baffle hood reduces the loss of heat.
- Its full length locking YKK two-way zipper with Anti-Snag slider reduces snagging
- It has Certified 850 fill power down with Down Defender that helps improve water-resistance in wet Conditions.
- It is EN Tested for -7 Celcius.
- The zipper might get stuck often while you try to zip up the bag.
- One of the customers has complained that in 20 F temperature it felt cold inside the bag (and the outer environment was damp ) which should not happen as it says the product temperature rating is 20 F and it can be used in damp weather.
Best Ultralight backpacking sleeping bag
Sea to Summit Spark III sleeping bag
- It is good when you go for Cycle touring, ultra-light hiking, adventure racing
- This bag includes lightweight Ultra-Sil compression bag, mesh storage cell and laundry bag which are helpful for you. Its special ultralight design got its place for it in our best backpacking sleeping bags’ list.
- It can seem to be a little delicate for rough and continuous backpacking. You might need to be a little extra careful while handling it.
Best comfort: Backpacking Sleeping Bag For Exceptional comfort
Nemo salsa 30 sleeping bag
It could be a good option for you if you are tired of sleeping inside your mummy bag and looking for more space to breathe and snuggle. This bag is made of 30D Nylon Micro Taffeta (Shell). It has a spoon shape that makes it wider at the knees and elbows for side sleeping. Premium features include; the stretch stitching, flowgates, and high-quality fabrics set Salsa apart. It comes with 650FP Downtek water repellent down system that repels water while maintaining its loft and insulation value during the wet conditions.
- It gives you comfort and coziness and at the same time does not feel suffocating, unlike many mummy bags.
- Makes easier for you to slide sleep.
- It is comfortable and there are enough room and space available inside for you to snuggle and cuddle.
- It comes with these included Accessories: Cotton storage bag, drawstring stuff sack.
- Nemo Salsa 30 is rated for 30 F, more suitable for cool weather, spring, autumn, and summer.
- The zipper can become bound up in the material that covers the zipper line.
- Not for the colder season.
Best for wet weather or area: Backpacking sleeping bag for wet conditions and water areas
The North Face Hyper Cat 20 sleeping bag
It is made of Nylon. Optimized fill achieves a smaller packed size. Also, it comes with a shaped hood for warmth and comfort. Needs hand washing. You don’t have to fold the bag to put it in the bag; instead, you can stuff it inside the bag like a cantaloupe.
- It might be a good option if you plan to go to mountains and sleep in warmth when the night temperature falls at 0 degrees.
- Comes with an adequate fill.
- The bag has enough room, so you might find it okay and comforting.
- Zipper needs to be handled with caution or it might break.
- Zipper might seem tight.
Best for women: backpacking sleeping bag for women
Sierra Designs Backcountry 800 fill sleeping bag
Very few backpacking sleeping bags come up with the idea of a versatile integrated comforter wraps with it to help you feel at home and adjust to varying temperatures. It is one of those bags. Its prime features include 800FP European Goose Down. It has Pertex Quantum inner and outer fabric. Its Hydrophobic Down is fluorocarbon free developed by Rab, in conjunction with Nikwax. It comes with internal KK 3 coil zipped stash pocket 3/4 length YKK 5 coil main zip Left and right-hand zips available Extra long (additional 15cm) with left zip. It offers Internal collar and a hood drawcord that ensures close neck baffling. You will get a stuff sack for storage. Temperature tested to European Standard EN. The product dimensions: 37 x 14 x 13 inches; weighs 4.2 pounds.
- Comes with a comforter for you to sleep warm.
- It offers a sleeping pad sleeve which secures your sleeping pad to make you feel like you at home.
- You can pull the quilt entirely out for comfortable sleeping.
- it has a cozy design. The Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 800 comes with an integrated half quilt built into this zipper-less bag that helps get extra warmth.
- It is lofty and puffy around the chest area which will give you comfort and coziness.
- it has Anti-snag zipper tape.
- If you are claustrophobic of mummy bags, it might be a right option for you.
- Some of you who are extra cold sleepers might get cold feet at times, (might).
Best for Kids: Best Backpacking Sleeping Bag- for kids (Warm weather)
Coleman Kids 50 Degree Sleeping Bag
Appropriate for kids age 6 and up. It has a comfort cuff designs that keep your face in comfort at night. It has a rectangular shape, the dimension is 60 x 26 in. it is for the warm summer camps. The temperature rating of this bag is 50 F.
- It comes with thermal lock draft tube that prevents heat loss through the zipper and gives your kid comfort at night.
- Kids will love this bag for the fun design of this bag that glows in the dark.
- Available in nice and gender neutral colors.
- Comes with a cute little pocket for your kids to keep their flashlights etc.
- It is cozy and your kids can roll it up easily.
- Only usable in warm summer camps.
- Not appropriate for your kids to sleep on the cold floor without keeping something under it.
We have listed the top best backpacking sleeping bags for your convenience. We hope you find this article helpful.